My Blog List

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Opinion Time

Where does time go?  No, don't tell me. That 
question is rhetorical and I really don't want 
to know.  
Every time I write a new post, I make a little promise to myself that I
will write weekly but then months go by and I'm out and about on some-
thing else. No more promises. No new tricks for old dogs.

When the furnace stops working, why is it always during a holiday or
a double-priced weekend? But it does and it did because this old farm
house is charming but also a piece of crap. I was out giving the dog a
good run when I got a text from my neighbor, asking if the plumbing,
heating truck by my house was legit. I reassured her it was legit and I
had left the door unlocked for him to enter and begin work.

That was just a little example of how my neighbors go out of their
way to look after one another. Since I am the (here comes that word)
Senior person, they all seem to share in a responsibility of either seeing
lights in my house or me out and about. Don't think I don't appreciate
their concern but sometimes I also feel like a burden.

City of Bozeman has a program, whereby seniors or sick people
could sign up to be called once a day to make sure they were alive
and kick'n. Nothing like that here and for several years I kept mentioning
the need for that kind of program.

Finally I took it upon myself to get the ball rolling. Here's the painful
truth..... what if an elderly person who lives in a neighborhood that is
 not as diligent as mine,  expires and what about the pets that are in
the house??????  I began by talking to groups who are connected to
pet owners....... veterinarians, senior centers, animal shelters....you know.
So far everyone agrees it's a necessary volunteer program and now
that the word is out there, many people want to help.

It's truly amazing and a bit like those Hallmark stories where the whole
town is coming together for a common good.  A really close friend,
who is retired and owner of 2 dogs, has come to the fore with her
organizational skills.  This could be set in motion before Christmas.

Right now we need to decide on a name. Some suggestions so far:
Pet Love ......(naww)
Love Thy Pet.....(we all do)
Save a pet.....(sounds like adoption)
Paws itivly.....(too saccharin and cutsey)
Pet Check
Friend Check .....(this would be my choice, so far....simple and to the
                     point)

OK bloggy friends, join in. Let me hear your ideas on how to get this
 ball rolling and offer some name choices.

Maybe I've opened a can of worms. (No comments, Pat (I'm not sure.
Let me hear from you guys.
~~~~~~~~
Oh, I almost forgot. Last post I had a little movie quiz. Here are the
answers.
Mrs. Wilberforce..... Lady Killers
Two Youts.......My Cousin Vinny
Elwood P. Dowd.....Harvey
Elderberry Tea....Arsenic and Old Lace
Wimpole St......The Barrets of Wimpole St
~~~~~~
Last week I saw Arsenic and Old Lace (again), an early Cary Grant
movie..... Slightly dated, I suppose, but still a hoot.


25 comments:

  1. Checking In
    Helpful Peepers
    Peep and Pet
    Checking You Out
    Petting

    They all popped in haha Hey, Checking You Out could have double meaning, if one checks out, you are helping their pets.

    A great idea indeed. As sometimes some pass and the pets are left to starve...or eat their owner, blah. Could set up some group and have all check in once a day if they have a computer, then if they don't check in give them a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat
    I knew I could count on you for an opinion and comments. I love all the names you came up with. Yeah, Checking you out may not be quite the way to say it. hahaha I didn't think choosing a name would be so difficult but I guess names always are. That's why I gave up Wanna buy a duck. It just didn't seem to fit anymore.
    I just added something to the post.... and a note to you.
    Thanks Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Didn't want me to worm a comment in there.

      Yeah, names can be a pain to nail down.

      Delete
    2. Pat
      It's OK.....worms are still a big part of my vocabularly. LOL
      I use that expression a lot.... can of worms.... but I don't like the image it leaves in my mind. Ha

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. joeh
      Sorry I've been so absent lately. Too many irons....too many fires.

      Delete
  4. What a worthy idea and surely a good one at that. Well done.
    As for the name, here goes:

    PetCare
    Allay
    Project Foster

    Hope that helps, warm greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti
      Thanks for putting on the thinking cap and coming up with some names.
      I thought it would be a snap, but it's not. lol
      Interesting choices. I was particulary drawn to Allay because it will certainly remove some fear for many (I hope).
      Thanks for participating in the name choice and I also send you very good wishes.

      Delete
  5. I like Friend Check. I have a neighbor who checks every morning to see if my light comes on. I told him I was grateful for nothing hurts resale value like a deceased body found a week too late:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti
      I like that one too.The cutesy ones get tiresome after a while. I know. LOL
      It's kinda funny but that dead body theory rings true, I guess. Always something to think about in life. Hahaha

      Delete
  6. How about Friends and Pets Check? I don't know anything about how to get something like that started. I know people around here seem to look out a bit for each other, but mostly the older ones. The young ones don't seem to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River
      Pretty much the same here. I made up some flyers and leaving one at veterinary clinics and shelters, so far. I'm not looking for more work in my life, heavens no. I'd like to keep it all connected but just pair people up
      so they could contact each other once a day. Without that central connection, it would be difficult to find people in the same circumstances,
      We'll see if it gets going.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of this volunteer work for the elderly and those who live alone [ya, I know elderly is NOT the word you and I want for a title].

    And yes, the heat goes out when it's cold, and the A/C goes kaputz when it's hot. Murphy's law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni
      You are right. I usually just use "old broad" for my title. Haha
      That Murphy and his laws. How'd he get so smart?

      Delete
  8. I like 'friend check.' Like you said, direct and to the point...and it's still nice. Sounds like you have a cool neighborhood. Sorry to hear about your furnace fritz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie
      Thanks for your opiion. Old houses and heat and pipes and roofs. Blaat
      I guess neighborhoods are luck of the draw and ours was a "lucky draw."

      Delete
  9. BELVA, somehow I missed this blog bit. But since I can't think of a good name to suggest, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

    Besides, if I COULD come up with a name, it would probably just be something along the lines of "Black Comedy" which would not be appropriate. I do have a pretty twisted sense of humor at times.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen
      Be yourself. You would be in "like" company. I often shock people with my irreverence. I guess when you get to be a little old lady, one is supposed
      to put aside humor and wear the grim mask. Hah, nice try, world.

      Delete
  10. wishing you and lovely family a Happy and wonderful Christmas dear Belva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baili
      Thank you for the Christmas greeting and bless you on your holidays too.

      Delete
  11. I am here to wish you a wonderful holiday and a very blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosey
      Thanks for the Christmas wish and I return it to you, filled with
      love, good cheer and lots of laughter.

      Delete
  12. Your blog is very useful for me,Thanks for your sharing.

    หนัง Animation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friend Check sounds good to me. Concise and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete